On a day as dreich as today, I find myself craving something warm in my tummy, and you don’t have to look much further than your cupboard staples.
What you need:
3 X 400g chopped or plum tomatoes
4 X Tablespoons Olive oil
3 X white onions (or red if you prefer)
3 X Tablespoons Tomato purée
Tablespoon chilli flakes
800ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock (1 stock cube)
Bag of basil
1. Slice then dice the onions and fry for approx 5 mins in the olive oil until soft
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli flakes, stock and most of the basil. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Blend the soup with a hand blender (or keep chunky if you prefer).
4. Gently heat the soup on the hob, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
5. Ladle your hot steamy soup into a bowl, garnish with the remaining basil and enjoy!
The amounts I gave you can of course be adjusted, but I’m an economical cook and I like to prepare food in bulk then store it in my freezer for another rainy day. This recipe can also be made gluten free, just double check your stock cube in case there is gluten present. You can also omit the chillies if a little bit of spice is not your thing.
This recipe took me all but 20 mins to prepare something healthy, convenient and incredibly tasty! I had everything at hand so no need for a trip to the shops, these ingredients are things I just have in my cupboards anyway. Can’t wait for some more, next week perhaps!